As part of its duties, the Historic Preservation Commission undertakes periodic surveys of Charleston’s historic neighborhoods. The Commission completed many of these surveys with the assistance of the graduate students in the Historical Administration Program at Eastern Illinois University. These surveys are included in Charleston’s Certified Local Government inventory, which is on file in the City Clerk’s office. To date the inventory includes the following surveyed areas:
Residential district, dominated by late 19th-early 20thcentury architecture; residential development in the late 1800s influenced by proximity to university. Contains three National Register listings (895 7th St. "Dudley House", and the 6th and 7th Street Stone Arch Bridges).
Commercial/Mixed Use district; was the Original Town when platted in early 1830s; buildings date from c. 1860s-1960s; contains two National Register buildings (Coles County Courthouse and Will Rogers Theatre).
Residential district; contains a few examples of Civil War era buildings as well as late 19th-early 20th century structures; residential development influenced by proximity to Courthouse Square. Contains one National Register building (210 Jackson--Alexander Briggs House).
Residential district surrounding Hodgen’s Pond; represents broad mix of building types and styles c. 1860-1950, including Charleston’s only Shingle Style house, Civil War era houses, the 1930s Keystone Apartment Building, and mid-20th century modernism.
Residential district dominated by early-mid 20th century houses along with some 19th century buildings. Contains one National Register structure, the 10th Street Stone Arch Bridge.
Mixed Use district (industrial, commercial, residential); contains historic railroad buildings, old Brown Shoe factory, and worker’s housing. Most of the buildings date to c. 1850s-1920s.